Course Code: BSB51315Diploma of Work Health and Safety
This qualification is suitable for people who coordinate and maintain the work health and safety (WHS) program in an organisation. It reflects the role of practitioners who apply a substantial knowledge base and well-developed skills in a wide variety of WHS contexts.
The BSB51315 Diploma of Work Health and Safety provides participants with an in-depth knowledge of WHS practices and assists in developing the skills needed to develop and manage an organisation’s WHS program:
- Understand the consequences of exposure to health and safety hazards at work
- Recognise, evaluate and manage hazards in the workplace
- Administer various WHS functions, planning policy development and ethics
- Acquire in-depth knowledge in areas of system design and development, risk management and incident investigation.
This course is appropriate for people:
- Working in the industry who wish to become recognised/ qualified WHS Officers
- Employees with responsibility for WHS coordination in the workplace
Learning MethodClassroom / Workplace
Duration12 – 18 months.
RTO'sThis course is delivered by Kirana Colleges Registered Training Organisations Access Training Institute Pty Ltd RTO ID 91498.
To achieve the BSB51315 Diploma of Work Health and Safety a total of 9 units of competency must be completed, five (5) core units and four (4) elective units.
Upon successful completion of this qualification you may continue your studies and undertake the following:
Students must have been assessed as competent in the following units (or equivalent units) prior to enrolling in BSB51315 Diploma of Work Health and Safety:
- BSBWHS402 Assist with compliance with WHS laws
- BSBWHS403 Contribute to implementing and maintaining WHS consultation and participation processes
- BSBWHS404 Contribute to WHS hazard identification, risk assessment and risk control
- BSBWHS405 Contribute to implementing and maintaining WHS management systems
- BSBWHS406 Assist with responding to incidents
- Students must be currently employed in, or have access to, a suitable WHS management role encompassing the range of tasks and knowledge covered by the Units of Competency.
Students will need to be able to access and use a personal computer including internet connection, word processing and spreadsheet processing software, for example MS Word and Excel.
Student Selection Process
Kirana’s student selection process is designed to ensure that you are enrolled in the qualification that best meets your needs.
Kirana’s selection criteria will take into account various factors when deciding upon which students will be offered places in the program including;
- The students’ needs and desired outcomes
- The ability and commitment of the students to complete the course;
- Eligibility requirements listed in the applicable National Training Package;
- Students existing ability in the ACSF core skills, (learning, reading, writing, oral communication and numeracy)
Students not meeting these requirements will be directed to more suitable qualifications or skill development programs.
After completing this course you can pursue a career as a:
- Work Health and Safety Officer
- Work Health and Safety Practitioner
|Unit Code||Unit Description|
|BSBWHS502||Manage effective WHS consultation and participation processes|
|BSBWHS506||Contribute to developing, implementing and maintaining WHS management systems|
|BSBWHS503||Contribute to the systematic management of WHS risk|
|BSBWHS504||Manage WHS risks|
|BSBWHS505||Investigate WHS incidents|
|Unit Code||Unit Description|
|BSBWHS508||Manage WHS hazards associated with plant|
|BSBWHS410||Contribute to work-related health and safety measures and initiatives|
|BSBWHS507||Contribute to managing WHS information systems|
|BSBHRM509||Manage rehabilitation or return to work programs|
To be assessed as competent in this qualification, individual workers are required to undertake 400 hours of supervised work placement in a relevant industry delivery setting. Evidence provided by the supervisor will contribute to assessment of the candidate’s ability to work at this level.
Let one of our Career Course Advisers help work out the best funding model based on your eligibility.
What Kirana Offers
- Access to industry leading VET Teachers who care about how you progress in the course
- Flexible learning options; study online, in class, blended, by correspondence or at your workplace
- You may be eligible for state and/or federal funding as a loan or a subsidy towards your course
- We have 7 learning campuses nationally for when you want to be inspired by like-minded students & trainers
- Some Kirana qualifications are part of a pathway to university and getting you degree ready